Nogluten Recipes

Homemade Miso Paste Recipe

Homemade Miso Paste Recipe
Posted at :
Posted by :
Print Recipe

Prepare the ingredients before making Homemade Miso Paste in your home. Then, follow these steps below to serve Homemade Miso Paste for your family or friends.

Ingredients: Homemade Miso Paste

  • 500 g soy beans
  • 500 g Kouji
  • 250 g Salt (see note below on how to calculate the exact amount)
  • Tools:
  • 1 bucket or container that can hold 3 liters
  • 1 sturdy and clean plastic bag that is big enough to line the bucket
  • 1-1 1/2 kg weight for weighing dough miso
  • 1 inner lid that can fit inside the bucket - it will be used to put on top of miso to hold the weight

How to Make Homemade Miso Paste

If you have prepared the ingredients needed, now time to start cooking. There are 17 steps you must follow to make Homemade Miso Paste in your home by yourself.

    Step 1
  • You should wash soy beans, and soak soy beans about 14~24 hours. Use 4 times the amount of soy beans for the soaking water.
  • Step 2
  • After soaking, soybeans look like this.
  • Step 3
  • Boil the soybeans in plenty of water for about 4 hours.
  • Step 4
  • When you can easily mash a soy bean between two fingers, it's done! Next you should mash soybeans very well.
  • Step 5
  • The soybeans look like this after mashing.
  • Step 6
  • After mashing, weigh the miso so you can calculate exactly how much salt to use (next step)
  • Step 7
  • Add the weight of soybeans by the weight of koji (here it's 500 g). Multiply that number by 0.12, then divide by 0.88.
  • Step 8
  • Salt = (weight of mashed soybeans + weight of koji) x 0.12 / 0.88
  • Step 9
  • Set aside 10% of the salt for sprinkling on top later on. The remaining 90% will be mixed with the koji in the next step.
  • Step 10
  • Mix the koji and salt well. Then mix in the mashed soybeans very well.
  • Step 11
  • Make miso-dama - it means miso ball! Make miso balls by tightly squeezing the mix in the palms of your hand. They should be firm and not fall apart.
  • Step 12
  • Put the balls in a big container lined with a clean plastic bag, and "punch" your miso down! You need to punch out the air, so make sure it's smashed into the container very well with now air pockets.
  • Step 13
  • Make the top of the miso level.
  • Step 14
  • Sprinkle with a little salt.
  • Step 15
  • Wrap an "inner lid" with plastic wrap and put on top of the miso paste. I used a round plastic piece the same size as my container.
  • Step 16
  • Put a heavy weight on top.
  • Step 17
  • Wrap up and close the plastic liner bag so it's inside the container. Cover the container with a lid and say good night! See you next year! It takes one year to finish fermenting, but you should check your miso after summer. If your miso smells bad, you should remove any mold and mix up miso! Smash it back down again, put the weight on and finish fermenting.
Homemade Miso Paste Reviews

Add your opinion about Homemade Miso Paste Recipe above or tell your story when cooking Homemade Miso Paste in your home.

Recipe Related to Homemade Miso Paste
Vanilla Cupcakes Vanilla Cupcakes
Posted at : December 27, 2016, 4:22 pm
Posted by : Sechuban
Broccoli soup Broccoli soup
Posted at : December 27, 2016, 4:15 pm
Posted by : Goldfinger
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serving : 2
Huli Huli Wings Huli Huli Wings
Posted at : December 27, 2016, 7:49 pm
Posted by : bbqtvtv
Category : BBQ
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
Serving : 4
Spicy Korean Style Dried Shredded Daikon Salad Spicy Korean Style Dried Shredded Daikon Salad
Posted at : December 27, 2016, 9:10 pm
Posted by : cookpad.japan
Little Smokies, Cocktail Weiners, Monkey Dinks, or Whatever the Freak You Want to Call Them Little Smokies, Cocktail Weiners, Monkey Dinks, or Whatever the Freak You Want to Call Them
Posted at : December 27, 2016, 3:42 pm
Posted by : A-Train
Category : Appetizer
Cooking Time : 2 minutes
Serving : 10

All trademarks mentioned belong to their owners, third party brands, product names, trade names, corporate names and company names mentioned may be trademarks of their respective owners or registered trademarks of other companies and are used for purposes of explanation and to the owner's benefit, without implying a violation of copyright law.

Copyright © 2005 - 2016 NoglutenRecipe. All sponsored products, company names, brand names, trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners.

Recipe Index : A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z